Turn your plain ol’ veggie dogs into an ocean scene with these Veggie Dog Sailboats! Plant-based hot dogs sandwiched between a gluten free bun and topped with an edible sail and flag, this fun summertime-themed lunch will sure to be a hit with your kiddos.
This is a quick put together recipe that will wow your kids, thinking you spent endless hours just for them. Nothing like an easy lunch or dinner option that awards you with the best mom or dad trophy. Place the sailboats in an ocean of red grapes and let them set sail off into the horizon.
These Veggie Dog Sailboats are an easy recipe that screams of whimsy and summertime:Print
- 4 gluten free hot dog buns
- 4 veggie dogs (make sure they are gluten free, if need be)
- 4 skewers
- 4 slices Persian cucumbers, lengthwise
- mini bell peppers, cut into flag shapes
- condiments like ketchup and mustard
- Grill the veggie dogs and place into the warmed up buns. Top with condiments of choice.
- Place the bottom of the sliced cucumber into the skewer and then connect it to the top of the cucumber. Add the bell pepper flag on the top.
- Add the edible sail and flag into the veggie dog.
- If you don’t have a grill, these veggie dogs are just as easy to cook in a skillet.
- Make sure to find a good veggie dog brand with that is made without wheat if your little ones can’t eat gluten.
- Schar is a great brand for hot dog buns that are made without gluten, eggs, and dairy.
- This can be a fun lunch activity for your kids. Allow them to assemble their own sailboats if you are looking for ways for them to get more involved with their food.
Want more allergen friendly, summertime fun recipes? Check these out: