Today I am over at The Sweet Life guest posting these Healthy Ice Cream Sandwiches. I cannot wait to share with you my newest recipe creation, made just for Sarah and her newest little one!
So click on over to The Sweet Life and while you are over there you should congratulate Sarah on the arrival of her second little baby: Nash. To celebrate, I’m making everyone these gluten, egg, dairy, flour, and refined sugar-free frozen treats. Healthy Ice Cream Sandwiches! Can you believe that this tower of goodness actually is good for you? I know…look again.
They look so decadent and sinful but are full of good-for-you ingredients, you won’t even believe it. Won’t you join me in raising a healthy ice cream sandwich in honor of Nash?
Click here to see pictures of how to assemble these Healthy Ice Cream Sandwiches.
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 Tbsp. non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp. maple syrup (optional, the bananas provide a lot of sweetness as is)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ c. peanut butter, smooth or chunky (almond or sun butter works too)
- ½ c. white beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ c. gluten-free old-fashioned oats
- 2 Tbsp. applesauce
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅓ c. non-dairy chocolate chips (plus more for rolling) - optional
- Line a small rectangular dish (I used a 6x4 sized dish) with parchment paper. Feel free to use whatever size or dish you have (you can even use a round pan). Just know that the bigger you use, the thinner the ice cream filling is vs. the small the pan, the thicker the slices.
- Blend everything up in a high-speed blender until smooth. Place into the dish and freeze until set (approximately 2+ hours).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In food processor blend everything (except the chocolate chips) together smooth, yet thick enough to form into a dough. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Roll about 1 Tbsp. of dough into a ball between hands and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Shape with your hands by gently flattening dough down into 2" diameter circles. These will not spread while baking so it's important to shape them prior to.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly brown along the edges and allow to cool on the baking sheet. Transfer to the freezer until ready to assemble.
- Take a 2" circle biscuit cutter and make cut-outs in the dish holding the banana ice cream. Place in between 2 frozen cookies (optional: coat with non-dairy chocolate chips) and freeze again until fully set.