It’s beginning to look a lot like SUMMER, despite it being only January (that is what you get when you live in Southern California). So to celebrate, I’m making everyone these gluten, egg, dairy, flour, and refined sugar-free (and everything else!) frozen treats. I shall call them Healthy Ice Cream Sandwiches! Can you believe that this tower of goodness actually is good for you? I know…look again.
RELATED: Easy Chipwiches
They look so decadent and sinful but are full of good-for-you ingredients, you won’t even believe it. And the best part is neither will your kids. I know mom and dad, you’re so welcome. You can pay me back by sending me a check. No seriously, you can send me a check…
RELATED: Frozen Banana Chocolate Pops
Chickpea peanut butter cookies and banana ice cream create these ultra tasty and easy-to-assemble Healthy Ice Cream Sandwiches.Print
For the Banana Ice Cream:
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 Tbsp. non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp. maple syrup (optional, the bananas provide a lot of sweetness as is)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the Peanut Butter Cookies:
- 1/2 c. peanut butter, smooth or chunky (almond or sun butter works too)
- 1/2 c. white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 c. gluten-free old-fashioned oats
- 2 Tbsp. applesauce
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 c. non-dairy chocolate chips (plus more for rolling) – optional
To make the banana ice cream
- Line a small rectangular dish (I used a 6×4 sized dish) with parchment paper. Feel free to use whatever size or dish you have (you can even use a round pan). Just know that the bigger you use, the thinner the ice cream filling is vs. the small the pan, the thicker the slices.
- Blend everything up in a high-speed blender until smooth. Place into the dish and freeze until set (approximately 2+ hours).
To make the cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In food processor blend everything (except the chocolate chips) together smooth, yet thick enough to form into a dough. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Roll about 1 Tbsp. of dough into a ball between hands and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Shape with your hands by gently flattening dough down into 2″ diameter circles. These will not spread while baking so it’s important to shape them prior to.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly brown along the edges and allow to cool on the baking sheet. Transfer to the freezer until ready to assemble.
- Take a 2″ circle biscuit cutter and make cut-outs in the dish holding the banana ice cream. Place in between 2 frozen cookies (optional: coat with non-dairy chocolate chips) and freeze again until fully set.
RELATED: Chewy Bar Ice Cream Sandwiche Bites