I have and always will have a super soft spot for S’mores. There is something quintessential about the flavor combination that brings me back to acting like a 7 year old girl. I used to eat Pop Tarts, cereal, granola bars, or any dessert (heck, make that a breakfast food too) that was a combination of chocolate, marshmallow, and graham crackers. I would microwave them, cook them over a campfire (the rare times that I would go camping), or throw a darn fluffy marshmallow onto a stick and roast it over the stove. I didn’t care how I had it, you could just guarantee that if it was in S’mores form, I would buy it. And eat it.
This summer, however, needs a more spectacular, more creative and fun, and more of a grown-up version of S’mores. And since it’s been so dang warm this entire year I think a scoop of vegan chocolate ice cream filled with vegan marshmallows and mini chocolate chips sandwiched between two gluten-free “graham” cracker cookies creates the most satisfyingly S’mores ice cream sandwich a girl can ask for.
- 1/3 c. superfine brown rice flour
- 1/3 c. sorghum flour
- 1/3 c. arrowroot powder
- 1/4 c. coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 Tbsp. Teff flour
- 1 Tbsp. flaxseed meal
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp. coconut oil, solid (or chilled shortening or vegan butter)
- 1 Tbsp. unsulphered molasses
- 2-3 Tbsp. non-dairy milk
- 16 oz. store-bought nondairy chocolate ice cream of choice
- 1/4 c. mini vegan chocolate chips
- 8 mini vegan marshmallows, roughly chopped up
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all the dry ingredients together for the graham crackers in a medium bowl. With a pastry blender or fork, incorporate solid coconut oil into flour until crumbs forms.
- Place the remainder of the wet ingredients into flour mix until smooth and combined. Start with 2 Tbsp. nondairy milk to begin with and if it needs more liquid to create a smooth ball, add another tablespoon. Make into a dough ball and smooth out with your hands.
- Divide into two balls. Roll out one ball onto a piece of parchment to 1/4′” thickness (or desired thickness).
- Using a 3" cookie/biscuit cutter, cut out circles from the dough (or form into shape and size of choice).
- Take a fork and gently poke holes into dough and sprinkle with raw sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes (depending on the size of your cookies), or until lightly browned along the edges. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Allow the ice cream to soften up in order to easily stir in the add-ins. You might have leftover graham crackers depending on their size. If so, simply crush them up and add them into the ice cream along with the vegan marshmallows and chocolate chips.
- Place it into a covered container and re-freeze until solid.
- Gently scoop out ice cream between two graham crackers and enjoy.
Have any questions on gluten-free flours and need to replace what’s in the recipe? No worries! Check out this guide on gluten-free flours created just for you. Also, you still have 3 weeks left to preorder my all-baking cookbook coming out August 5th.
The best part of ordering it now and waiting for it to arrive? You get a discount! And who doesn’t like saving money?? I love that…almost as much as I love S’mores.