I started non-baking raw vegan brownies two years ago when I began to fall in love with raw desserts and the possibilities it presented. I had always been intimidated by the concept of raw foods but the draw had been there for years. I distinctly remember sitting on my bed eight years ago scouring the internet, researching (albeit a limited selection) of raw recipes, contemplating whether or not I could afford a dehydrator, let alone if I could even follow a raw diet. I felt a surge of energy as I learned more about this way of life–something about it spoke deeply to me yet at the same time it was overwhelming enough to scare me out of it.
Now as I have a better grasp on myself and who I am, I know that adhering to an all-raw diet is a bit extreme for my personality. I’m more of a moderate kind of gal however I also have learned that I am more resilient and able than I ever gave myself credit for. That intimidation though stayed with me for a while. Where the heck would I find coconut oil? I have to soak nuts, what? Raw cacao powder–did they just spell that incorrectly? It wasn’t until I moved back inland where summers were no longer blessed with ocean marine layer and chilly mid-day breezes but instead plagued with heat, sweat, and misery that I began to experiment. No one wants to use an oven in those circumstances… I really don’t know what I was so afraid of, really. Once I began to play around with dessert ideas made raw, I became a bit crazed. Check out my entire Raw Recipe Selection. I absolutely loved it and understood why eight years ago I was drawn to it. So I created this brownie recipe for Halloween two years ago but decided it needed an update and new twist. What about a raw vegan “skillet” brownie that actually looks like it came fresh out of the oven but you didn’t even need to turn a darn thing on?! This recipe fills two mini iron skillets (approx. 5″ radius) however you don’t need those to make them. Simply use an 8×8 pan.
- 1 c. cashews, soaked for at least 1 hour, drained
- 1 c. walnuts, soaked for at least 1 hour, drained
- 1/2 c. homemade almond flour/meal
- 1/2 c. raw cacao powder (or use unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 4 Medjool dates, pits removed and chopped
- 3 Tbsp. raw agave or maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- Mix the cashews and walnuts in a food processor until crumb-like, small granules. You might have to do this in 2 batches, depending on your processor size.
- Add the remainder of ingredients into the processor and pulse for 1-2 minutes until a smooth dough forms.
- Line 2 mini iron skillets or an 8×8 pan with wax paper just on the bottom. Place the dough in the pan and with your hands, pat down until dough forms into pan.
- Chill in the fridge for 20+ minutes.
- Serve with coconut whipped cream, chopped nuts and fresh cherries.
If you have found yourself a bit intimidated by raw desserts, these raw vegan “skillet” brownies are for you! They are simple to make, don’t require crazy kitchen equipment, easy-to-sub ingredients and tastes like a dream. Maybe you will find yourself a bit drawn to the raw world as well…