I imagine the idea of creating an ice cream flavor full of cookie dough came from a little kid who, while eating an ice cream cone, went to scoop out a finger-full of his mom’s homemade cookie dough, only to find a piece of it plopped down onto his cone. Bothered at first, he looked down to see his predicament.
Cookie Dough Ice Cream Recipe
Gluten, egg and dairy-free
Adapted from Corrina Darling’s Cookie Dough Hummus
- 1 pint non-dairy vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 c rolled oats
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 2 Tb applesauce or oil
- 1 c. Enjoy Life chocolate chips
- In food processor blend chickpeas, oats, salt, baking soda, sugar, vanilla, and oil. Blend until smooth, yet thick enough to form into a ball.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Place in a bowl and freeze for 10 minutes.
- Roll out into small balls and throw into pint of softened non-dairy vanilla ice cream carton. Re-freeze until solid.
Unable to remove it with his hands, his only choice was to pick up the cookie dough with his mouth. Simultaneously he managed to scoop up a slurp of vanilla ice cream along with the dough and as the flavors mixed around in his mouth, his eyes widened. Had he just accidentally created the world’s greatest ice cream flavor?
Without a doubt.