There are some traditions that should never be let go of just because you cannot consume a certain type of food. For me, that’s eggnog, hands down–probably my most favorite part of this season. I used to never say no to eggnog…
Imagine my delight when non-dairy milk brands were coming out with their own version of eggnog in the stores last year. I bought almost every brand of vegan nog…yet felt disappointed with each carton. They were all missing the thickness that I love, not to mention the flavor of the milk, be it rice or coconut, completely overpowered the entire drink’s taste.
So yesterday I was sitting here on the blog, staring at the front page and well, my non-dairy raw milk recipe was staring right at *me* begging to be made into nog form.Print
- 3/4 c. raw cashews, soaked for 2–3 hours
- 2 c. water
- 1 frozen banana (must be frozen!)
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted (use refined for non coconut taste)
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Drain the water from the soaked cashews and place in a high speed blender. Add the 2 cups of water and blend until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend for another 1-2 minutes until completely smooth.
- Pour into glasses and dust with nutmeg.
So I obeyed and transformed it into my most favorite holiday beverage ever. I must admit, it’s the closest I have yet tasted to the real deal. So much so that I have already made 2 batches of the stuff. And downed all of it.