It’s fiesta time and this Cinco de Mayo-inspired entree is ON POINT for the allergen friendly in your family.* Made up of only corn tortillas, avocado, bell peppers, and black olives, these easy Tostada Sombreros are like an empty canvas for your family to go crazy and add their own flare to. !Arriba!
*If there is a corn allergy, you can always make my grain free tortillas.
1). Dinner ready in less than 30 minutes; 2). The cutest looking Mexican dish; and 3). An excuse to whip up and sip on some margaritas at night. I mean, come on, I just gave you THREE awesome reasons to make these easy Tostada Sombreros. It’s a movement I fully support.
Turn basic corn tortillas into the most festive Cinco de Mayo easy Tostada Sombreros. Dinner is now a fun, holiday-inspired meal! Your easy-to-follow photo tutorial montage:
- 2 corn tortillas, baked or fried until crisp
- 1 avocado, smashed with the juice of 1 lime wedge
- 1/4 c. green bell peppers, diced
- 1/4 c. red bell peppers, diced
- 1/4 c. yellow bell peppers, diced
- 1/4 c. black olives, diced
- Either bake (at 375 degrees) or fry up your corn tortillas in a skillet until lightly browned. Allow to cool down and firm up some more.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out some smashed avocado onto each tostada.
- Layer with each bell pepper color and then outline with black olives.
- Serve with a healthy serving of beans and Cauliflower Spanish Rice (optional)
If your child does not like black olives (gasp), you can always just use black beans in it’s place. And…AND if your family isn’t a fan of guacamole (double gasp), you can use my Spanish cauliflower rice or regular ol’ rice for the mound. See? The alternatives are vast and this recipe is welcoming for all.
Serve with some protein (either some beans or even my quinoa taco meat) and now you are your way to getting high-fived by each and every family member. Go you!