Let the Brunch Off begin!
The secret ingredient given to me from the incredible lifestyle website BlissTree? Rhubarb.
- 1 c. Cara’s gluten-free flour mix
- 1 c. non-dairy milk + 1 Tb apple cider vinegar (allow to sit for 7-10 minutes)
- 2 Tb olive oil
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tb sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 c. thinly chopped rhubarb
- 1/2 c. thinly chopped strawberries
- Combine the dry ingredients together in a large Pyrex measuring cup (I like to use this because it’s easiest to pour the batter out onto the skillet but you can just use a bowl and scoop the batter out with a small measuring cup if you do not have a Pyrex).
- Make a well in the center and add the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. Allow to sit while you heat up the skillet.
- Pour batter onto the skillet and quickly place approximately 1 Tb of the chopped rhubarb and strawberries on the top of the batter. Cook until sides are bubbly and firm, then flip over. Cook until lightly brown.
- Serve with Strawberry-Rhubarb syrup (recipe below).
1/2 c. chopped rhubarb
1/2 c. chopped strawberries
1 Tb sugar
1/3 c. water
Place rhubarb, sugar and water into a small boiling pot. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
Add strawberries and bring back to boil another 2 minutes.
Allow to cool a little and then place into a blender and mix until smooth. Be careful! It will be hot still. Feel free to add more sugar or water, depending on preference of sweetness and thickness. I prefer my syrup to be thicker and less sweeter.