I am always so intrigued with using ingredients that are not as common. Where everyone is using jackfruit as a meat substitute for their Mexican fiestas, I think that hearts of palm doesn’t get enough credit for it’s meaty texture and ability to absorb any flavor you want. And psst: t’s my secret ingredient in these incredible taquitos. Well, then again, you can see that the recipe is for Hearts of Palm Taquitos, so I guess that takes the surprise out of it. Regardless, these rolled up tacos taste similar to shredded beef but these are instead stuffed with plants.
Creating the insides for these Hearts of Palm Taquitos are easy to assemble and your meal will come together in less than 30 minutes! Here is a photo of what the hearts of palm will look like once they are shredded and the seasoning is added to it:
RECIPE TIP: Trying to find ways to make your meals healthier and you don’t want to fry these up? After you roll the tortillas, already stuffed with the meaty hearts of palm, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and lightly coat with cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, flipping over half way through. Depending on your oven’s temperature, you may need to bake them longer.
Have dinner ready in less than 30 minutes with a plant-based version of your favorite Mexican meal with these Hearts of Palm Taquitos!
*Recipe has been updated as of 8/6/16*Print
- 8 corn tortillas
- 14 oz can hearts of palm, drained and shredded (should equal about 6 pieces)
- 2 Tbsp. onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce (use a vegan brand, if needed) or use 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ancho chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- In a small bowl, combine the shredded hearts of palm and “meat” seasoning until evenly combined.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tsp. oil over medium high heat. Add the onions until translucent. Add the seasoned hearts of palm. Heat up for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool down.
- Clean out the skillet and add enough oil to the bottom of the pan to coat. Heat thoroughly.
- Evenly add the hearts of palm meat to each tortilla. If your tortillas are too thick, they will break apart. Also, to ensure this won’t happen, gently warm up the tortillas in the microwave for 10-20 seconds. Roll up.
- Immediately add the rolled up tortillas into the heated oil. Heat on every side until lightly browned.
- Serve with homemade guacamole and salsa.
Looking for more recipes using hearts of palm? Try these: